From:
Debra Loguda-Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 20:00:46 -0500
We send the 8283 to every donor not matter what and let them take care of that (it saves them calling me for it.) In fact you don't have to send an 8283, in the development world it is thought that the donor should take care of getting the form themsleves.

 If it is over $5000.00 we ask for a copy of the appraisal for our records only.   The 8282 goes to the IRS for anything disposed within three years (information per our development dept and my husband :)  )  We have started to weed out donation before the final gift deed, it saves us the extra step later on if we can return what we don't want right up front before it becomes property of the museum.  Once the gift deed is signed it becomes property of the museum and we do not notfiy donors of deacessioning.

Debra Loguda-Summers,
Curator
Still National Osteopathic Museum and the
National Center for Osteopathic History
800 West Jefferson
Kirksville, MO 63501
Phone: 660 626 2359
Fax: 660 626 2984
Toll Free: 1 866 626 ATSU Ext. 2359
www.atsu.edu/museum

>>> Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]> 08/08/07 6:03 PM >>>
Here I'm definitely on more shakey ground.  I thought that an 8283 form goes
to the donor at the time of the donation (for over a certain dollar amount)
and an  8282 form goes to the IRS if you dispose of it within three years.
But I haven't done that move for over ten years, so someone more up to date
needs to weigh in on that.  Help, you all out there?

Lucy

  _____