From:
Jerry Symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 02:54:50 -0400
Hi Emily,

A few thoughts - from the British perspective, although I don't expect it will
differ too much from the American ones!

1. What does "certificate program" actually mean i.e. what certification will
you be awarded on completion? I have heard American Museum Studies
students say that you really need to be awarded a Masters Degree to 'cut the
ice' - but no doubt American site members will comment on that seperately:
things may have moved on!

2. Consider why you want to break into the Museum field - at all. If you want
to become rich - you are looking in the wrong place! If you are looking for
intellectual satisfaction and want to do something that will benefit the
community at large, you are looking in the right place - but be prepared to 'roll
your sleeves up' and get down in the engine room, deal with politics, ethics
and hone your negotiating skills! That's no different to any other environment!

3. As in any sector, you need to work on your 'Unique Selling Points' (USP's) as
my bretheren in the Marketing World would say. I'm an Accountant with
extensive Retail experience - as well as having a Masters in Museum Studies -
that makes me a somewhat unusual creature, over this side of the pond
anyway! If you have financial, computer, marketing, retail, or procurement
skills there are all valuable commodities to help you get a foot in the door!

4. If you can, do some volunteer work in a museum whilst undertaking your
Certificate Program - this will not only build up your experience of the museum
sector (thus enabling you to present yourself better at interview) but also help
you identifify areas in the sector where you may may be able to apply your
skills to benefit: and think wide! Language proficiency, experience of working
with those with learning disabilities, travel to other countries and exposure to
different cultures - these should all help.

Good luck!

Regards,

Jerry Symonds - Senior Internal Auditor
Historic Royal Palaces