From:
Michael McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 10:42:02 -0400
Rene,

You are wise to be wary of a green roof over exhibition and
collection storage areas. Having said that, I would not strike the
possibility of having a green roof somewhere on your new building.
There are two basic green roof types, extensive - low weight mats
that provide a growing medium for grasses and groundcovers, and
intensive - multiple inches of soil for conventional planting. Green
roofs can be energy saving as well as providing additional
environmental benefits. Rather than going into this, I'll include
some websites here that have some good information.

http://hortweb.cas.psu.edu/research/greenroofcenter/index.html

http://www.greenroofs.com/

Perhaps you could check in with the Mashantucket Pequot Museum and
Research Center in Ledyard, CT and ask them to share their experience.

http://nemo.uconn.edu/reducing_runoff/case_studies/green_roof_cs.htm

Mike

--
Michael McHugh, AIA