From:
Rachel Talent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:35:00 -0400
We use a mix of extended and identification only labels at this museum,
which has been guided in part by our visitors.  Our guards are also an
excellent gauge of visitor interest as they are often the first "museum
folk" to whom art-related questions are directed.  We have revised label
copy and created extended labels for works based on common questions
that the guards relay.

The majority of our medieval through baroque works have extended label
copy because of the symbolism in use.  Until recently, installations of
contemporary abstract/surrealist/conceptual art did not.  A non-art
friend visited the museum and complained to me that this sort of art
made her angry because she doesn't know why it's hanging in a museum and
she felt stupid for not knowing.  For me, her response defined the
sentiment behind many of the "that's not art" comments overheard
throughout the years.  We began (slowly, for all the reasons Jay lists
below) converting many of the id labels for these works to extended
labels.  Interestingly, whenever I visit the galleries I noticed that
the majority of our visitors read these labels, but not as many read the
labels for the more traditional medieval through baroque works.  Perhaps
they feel they already understand the subject?

However, I tend to agree with the newspaper article that prompted this
discussion.  I would sacrifice a text panel for a quality art object any
day.

Rachel Talent Ivers
Registrar/Exhibitions Coordinator
Bass Museum of Art