From:
Angela Putney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 12:13:33 -0500
>>> "Verlag Dr. C. Mueller-Straten" <[log in to unmask]> 02/05 11:07 AM >>>
>Robert and Deborah Bain schrieb:
> I am preparing a Valentine's Day family program that focuses on the
> representation of Cupid in painting.  Some of the paintings I would like
> to include have women with bare breasts. [snip] Do you have any suggestions for
> dealing with nudity in art if a parent or child feels uncomfortable with
> the situation?
[snip]
are you kidding? The parents for shure have studied every detail of the
confessions of a president and the kids know the Playboy since some years.
Nudity as such is not bad, nudity in art no problem. Your project does not deal
with porn, isn `t ist?
[snip]

 I cannot remember if the original poster was from the U.S. and what part or somewhere else, but if it were the U.S., then no, they probably weren't kidding. We are exceedingly bizarre in our reactions to nudity (I think it stems from the odd mix of religions, particularly those groups that left Europe centuries ago to avoid persecution, but I haven't studied it in depth). I have noticed that Europeans take nudity all in stride and realize how natural it is, whereas we (Americans, not necessarily me) tend to think that nudity=sex=morally wrong=will_go_to_hell (well, maybe not that strongly by all, but some sure do). European magazines often show women's bare breasts (and more) without being a "porno" magazine. Impossible in the U.S. since a child might see it and think ... um, I don't know nor do I know what some people seem to fear, but whoever these people are, they have clout with laws. [one time while I was working in a university library and trying to determine the actual!
 holdings of an Italian magazine, I noticed that someone had drawn boxes or colored over all the "naughty bits" on each issue that had some nudity. I was appalled that someone had defaced the magazines!  I could see no reason for it other than misguided morals especially since the photos were not pornographic (the students were old enough to see the photos even if they were)].

 I thought you might want to understand a bit more about U.S. culture and how bizarre and illogical it is (and perhaps understand a tiny bit why our President is having such problems. As ridiculous as I think the whole thing is, I see what forces started and keep it in motion - and they are hard to stop).

      Angela

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !