From:
Mark Vang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 14:58:50 UT
Heidi,

It's not a good idea to leave any part of the computer exposed to the public.
As you've seen in the responses so far, people will deliberately or
inadvertantly tamper with the controls.  In addition to contrast, brightness
and the power switch, many monitors also have screen adjustment controls on
the front panel as well.  These controls set screen size, position and monitor
frequency.  After these have been tampered with it can be difficult for you to
figure out what was done so you can un-do it.  Your visitors will just become
frustrated by a "broken" computer and walk away.

To save the expense of a kiosk, you could install a tamper-proof plate over
the controls.  Some monitors have flip-panels which expose these controls, so
if you could secure that, you would be okay.  The last place I worked used a
strip of acrylic which covered the flip-panel and the power switch.  The plate
was secured by short wood screws at either end.  Don't make this cover
permanent, remember you need access for occasional adjustments to the monitor
settings.  Also, be very careful to use short screws and if you drill the
front panel, don't penetrate farther than the bezel plastic.

I am also concerned about your use of the mouse and keyboard.  If you give the
visitor access to the keyboard, they have full access to the computer.  They
can accidently or deliberately close the program you install and cause all
kinds of mischeif on the system.  I don't know any details about what you are
doing with your exhibit.  There was a vigorous discussion on mice/trackballs
and touchscreens on Museum-l about 1-2 mos. ago, I recommend you search the
archives.

I know it's difficult to make decisions on what corners to cut when you are
working on a tight budget, but remember sometimes more than just looks is
involved.  A decision that undermines the overall quality or reliability of an
exhibit will effect your visitors ability to learn from the exhibit and their
impressions of your facility.

My speciality is designing exhibit software and computer systems/electronic
technology solutions for museums.  If you supply more details, I would be gald
to assist you further.

        Mark C. Vang : Freya Ventures : (757) 340-0099
                2100 Mediterranean Ave. Suite 15
                   Virginia Beach, VA 23451
>   [log in to unmask]    :    [log in to unmask]      <
* Interactive touch screen exhibit software/systems and exhibit  *
* technology integration for Museums, Science Centers, Aquariums *