From:
Glyn Balkwill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 06:27:28 +0200
Hi, all!

Now that the National Cultural History Museum, the Transvaal Museum (natural
science) and the SA National Museum for Military History down here in South
Africa have combined to form one institution we are being asked to review
all of our policies. I have been put on a committee to formulate a policy on
a committee to examine "private collections and the activities which could
be construed as a conflict of interests between the Northern Flagship
Institution (that's the new name given in legislation dealing with the
amalgamated museums) and its employees."

I have searched the museum-l archives and come up with lots of references to
volunteers and board members in this regard, but very little concerning
employees. I have the AAM's and ICOM's Codes of Ethics.

It was a more simple when we were 3 museums - the collecting policies were
more restricted.

Declaration of private interests and acquisitions seems a possibility - but
how far does one go? If an entomologist acquires a painting to hang in his
home does he declare it? If an ornothologist collects modern ceramics for
her home does she have to declare every purchase? Do I have to declare all
the family medals which I hold as the oldest son of the oldest son?

I seem to remember some discussions concerning collecting contemporary
ceramics but can't seem to trace them in the archives.

I would appreciate comments on this issue, on or off list. I would also
appreciate copies of policies dealing with this issue (off list please!).

Thanks in advance for your input.

Glyn

* Glyn Balkwill                     Tel (w)  : 27 (0)12 341-1320 *
* Deputy Director                   Tel (h)  : 27 (0)12 664-1973 *
* Collections Management            Cell     : 27 (0)82 770-7826 *
* National Cultural History Museum  Fax      : 27 (0)12 341-6146 *
* PO Box 28088                      Email    : [log in to unmask]   *
* SUNNYSIDE                                                      *
* 0132  RSA                                                      *
* Any opinions expressed are strictly my own                     *

Museum-L" (without the quotes).