From:
Miriam B Albahari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 16:57:21 -0500

> In the age of computerized databases and superb photographic reproductions
> there is no excuse for physically dispersing the contents of an album. Any
> --
> Paul Doering in Rochester NY USA
>   "Tomorrow will never catch up with yesterday
>    because yesterday started sooner."
>      - Carl Sandburg, "Rootabaga Stories"

You make the assumption that all of us responsible for the handling,
storage, and retrieval of photographic images have access to such
technologies!  I can barely afford the archival photo sleeves, folders,
and other basic supplies to properly care for the photos.  In my
historical society, the decision to dismantle a photo album is made on an
individual case basis, generally based on what will provide the best
research access to the material.  Does the album reflect the story of an
individual or family, or was it merely the previous owner's best attempt
at storage?  Yes, in an ideal world I could cross-reference every image
and leave them all together in their original format, but I don't live or
work in an ideal world.

Miriam Albahari
Registrar
Jewish Historical Society of Maryland