From:
Martha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2015 09:01:37 -0400
Kim and Paul,

I was happy to read about the work that is going on to study the workloads of museum workers, especially younger, entry & mid-level employees.  I couldn't agree more that those in the entry level positions get heaps of work for not much pay, but its not limited to those positions, it can be found in higher positions, too.  You make a good point about overcommitment with regard to projects / work at a museum.  Part of why I left my previous job was burn-out.  I was a manager by that point.

Over and over I see job postings for managers, directors, curators, collections managers, and executive directors, not just entry-level, where the compensation seems laughable in comparison to all of the job duties, higher degrees and work experience requirements.  I was just speaking with a friend the other day who happens to be an e.d. at a museum about the fact that cultural institutions seem to have this stigma that since they are a non-profit they can't make money.  Yet, they can make money that can be put back into the institution so it can grow and maintain itself.

Anyhow thank you for doing this research.

All the best,
Martha