From:
Bernard Barryte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:51:58 PDT
REPLY TO 08/08/96 14:51 FROM [log in to unmask] "Museum discussion
list": Re: Flash Photography

I'm somewhat surprised by the tone of this thread, especially
considering the mission of most museums to encourage access to their
collections.  In my personal experience, most art museum's at least
permit photography, forbidding only tripods and flash; historic
houses are only slightly less intractable, and most will grant at
least limited permission on request, often specifying times.  The
only hold-outs in my experience is the National Gallery
London---even the other reactionary institution, the Prado, now
grants permission.  In my own case, I take slides for use in
lectures or as aides memoire, since it is especially difficult to
secure color reproductions of many images or, more importantly, to
secure the details one most desires.  For the most part, these
slides are adequate for these purposes, or for instruction, and the
institutions are aware they would not be appropriate for
reproduction, even in a dissertation, so there is only minimal
impact on income.  Moreover, most commercial slides offered by
museums are evidently made using incredibly cheap films that first
fade  to purple and then become  invisible.  I purchased several
sets of Hermitage slides several years ago that are now perfectly
transparent.  I also use fast file (ASA400) and have learned to stop
my pulse; levitation would be a useful talent in palaces, villas,
and churches.  Anyway, I am personally grateful for the generosity
of instititions that permit this sort of continuing access to their
collections that complement most catalogues and handbooks.  If
institutions are concerned that photography impedes the visitor flow
they should likewise delete audio tours that almost by definition
promote congestion.
Bernard Barryte,
Stanford University Museum of Art

To:  [log in to unmask]