From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 16:12:16 -0800
        I think Nesdon Booth has made several excellent points.  Another,
more specific point is that use of Flash to prevent someone from taking a
photograph off of the site also means that there will be many people who
will not be able to access the site at all, for many people still do not
have machines capable of loading Flash and similar additions.
        Those of us in educational fields always need to consider how best
to reach our maximum audience.  We need to do this without violating
anyone's rights, but also without becoming excessively protective of
material and information that we have every right to use and our public
has every right to see.

        Adrienne DeAngelis

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Nesdon Booth wrote:
[snip]

> Additionally, the issues involved surround the gaining of commercial profit
> from the unauthorized use of images, and therefore remedies generally
> involve only the sharing of the income generated. Disparagement, directly or
> indirectly may include other penalties.
>
> I am dismayed though, to hear museum professionals, generally working in
> goverrnment or non profit institutions whose functions are intended to serve
> the educational and conservatory needs of the public, be so concerned with
> the unauthorized use of their material. I would think you would be happy to
> have images of your collections more widely distributed and your
> interpretive material more widely read.
[snip]

> So much of the positive that has come from the proliferation of richly
> contented internet sites has been precisely because they are free and open.
> How much harm to your institutions is really likely from the unauthorized
> duplication and use of your material.  If it is used for commercial
> purposes, then you have the right to demand a share in their profits.
>
> My guess is that the overwhelming net result of making your material more
> easily accessible online will be to greatly enhance your missions of
> conservation and education, as well as promoting your brick and mortar
> facilities and functions, and fostering goodwill in your communities.

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).