From:
A Kalfas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 1994 17:17:08 +0000
Hi! Could anyone help me with any info possible on the following issues?
1.THE TERM `ELGINISM'
I know there is one book dealing with the above term;itis a U.S.
Department of State publication as follows:
Prof.Charles de Viisher, 1949.ESSAYS ON NATIONAL PROTECTION OF WORKS OF ART
Could anyone please help me in finding either the relevant pages of this book
or U.S. Department of State's e-mail addresss?(concerning the pages the
only thing I know is that they may be cited around page No.800)
2.MUSEUM COLLECTIONS AND HOW THEY SHOULD BE NAMED
Is it e.g.the Venus of MILOS or the ELGIN Marbles?Is it correct to say
the PORTLAND vase or should Museum exhibits be named after their provenance
as far as better curation and public appretiation are concerned?Could
anyone suggest a bibliography on these subjects?
I'm doing an MA cource at the Dept. of Archaeology University of YORK
and my thesis subject is on the ELGIN MARBLES.I'd like to deal with these
2 issues and i'd appreciate any help.
Please forgive my style of writing but I'm not quite familiar with these
machines.
Thanking you in advance; I'm prepared to cover any possible
costs(photocopying, postage etc.)
A Kalfas
36 St. Mary's
York, YO3 7DD