From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:25:01 -0400
It is clear from all of the responses that far too many graduates of museum
studies programs (or equivalents) are being produced each year.  This
appears to have been the case for at least a decade or two.  This makes job
finding difficult, or even impossible for some.  The big question is who is
responsible for all of this?  Is it the universities, who are happy to offer
a major and take your tuition, as long as there is student interest?  Do
they have a collective responsibility not to flood the job market?  If so,
which universities should cut back or eliminate their programs - all of them
equally, or eliminate the less-effective programs?  What criteria will be
used to determine this?

Or, is it the responsibility of the students to investigate the reasonable
likelihood of gaining a job upon graduation?  How would they possibly know
what their future prospects are?  Graduates of different programs have
different degrees of success, but this information is not tabulated.  How
does a prospective student know if they are capable of learning the
necessary skills and having the requisite aptitudes before they commit to
studying?  What about the students that really have very little likelihood
of succeeding, but don't have a good self-assessment of themselves?

And what about museums?  Does responsibility lie with them?  Should they be
advocating for less training opportunities, since they can't provide
employment options?  All indications are that museums in the 21st century
are facing enormous changes, and the old business model is not likely to
succeed.  It appears that the numbers of museums will be decreasing,
especially in the smaller size category, unless significant re-invention
occurs on the order of a paradigm shift.  This will lead to still fewer
jobs.  Of course, entertainment venues are ever more merging into museum
life, and this may be the new salvation, although it will most likely be
available only to the larger institutions.

I, of course, am the most familiar with graduate training in conservation.
It seems to me that of all of the museum areas, these programs have done the
best job of matching the number of graduates to the potential need.  There
are three US graduate conservation programs and one in Canada (I am talking
only of the broad-based programs, and not those that train only in a
specific limited area, such as library materials).  Each trains
approximately 10 students per year.  This matches fairly well with the job
opportunities, although some graduates do go into private practice.  My
observation is that very few conservators who want to work are lacking
employment.  Yes, some are not working as much (or making as much) as they
would like, but the "unemployment rate" among conservators is low.  Now, did
this occur because of a conscious effort on the part of universities to
limit the number of conservation graduates?  Or, is it that setting up and
running a conservation graduate program is very expensive, much more so than
a creating a museum studies program?

Here is my anecdotal information, otherwise known as my 2 cents.  In 1985, I
was the founding director of the Smithsonian Institution's graduate
Furniture Conservation Training Program.  When I designed the program, I was
consciously aware of the job possibilities for graduates, and did not want
to flood the market with more wooden object conservators than could be
absorbed.  For that reason, we chose to train an average of two conservators
a year.  We very intentionally looked at the number of wooden object
conservators being trained by other programs before deciding on our output.
Although I am no longer involved with the program, the SI has decided to
stop training wooden object conservators, partially because the other
programs have stepped up to the plate and have been training an adequate
number of w.o. graduates.

This is a huge subject area!!  Please put forth your own ideas!!!
Brainstorming like this is the first step in creating change that may make
the museum world more friendly for all of us.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)