From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:28:33 -0400
John Bing makes an excellent point. The difficulty of getting rid of sub par
employees is real and it is the unintended consequence of trying to minimize
political influence in government work. That is particularly true where
governmental workers have very strong unions, such as teachers and police
(at least in our part of the county-Northeast US) But similar problems
happen in private business. Have you ever heard of a stagehand being fired
for incompetence? And I know of one IBM employee who had 12 managers before
he was fired. An even greater problem for government department heads is
pressure to hire folks on the recommendation of elected officials. I know a
few department heads who have taken smaller budgets and workforces in
exchange for the right to hire folks of their own choice and not those who
are recommended.

In New York State, however, the government is not he employer of last
resort. Traditionally people who cannot qualify for governmental patronage
jobs and who have political connections get jobs from Con Edison (utility
company) and Verizon (telephone company). There is an informal deal between
the companies and governmental entities that in return for "sympathetic"
hiring practices the companies receive "sympathetic" review of their rate
increase requests. So, private industry is not immune from deadwood, as any
construction company contractor, who is paying for an elevator operator on a
construction site without an elevator, will attest to.
nburlakoff