From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 10:04:59 -0500
Hi All!

Just a branch from the tree about corsetry:

Lynne Ranieri wrote:
> I have been surprised by the discussion of corsetry and
> tight lacing, as three reasons came to mind for my belief
> that tight lacing was not as infrequent as is being
suggested.
> Before I address them I would have hastened to agree that
> overly-tight lacing seems contrary to reason, but so does
> the foot-binding that was fashionable in...was it just
China?
> That certainly seemed as unreasonable as tight corsetry,
but
> it seems to have been quite pervasive nonetheless.

By western standards, Chinese foot binding seems
unreasonable.  It was, to be sure, extremely painful for the
young girls (starting around age two) . . . and the pain did
not cease for years.  There were several potential
health/medical problems which resulted from bound feet, and
care/hygiene was demanding.  BUT, before making a western
judgment based on western standards, consider the symbolic
value of bound feet in Chinese culture.

For an brief and excellent review of the practice, history
and importance of foot binding in Chinese culture, see:

        http://www.angelfire.com/ca/beekeeper/foot.html

Please take special note of the last paragraph . . . the one
about cultural relativism.  (Unfortunately, the writer goes
a bit far in condemning corsets.)  Do not fall into the trap
of assuming one's lifesttle and values are universally good.
But I cannot resist including the last few lines:

        "The extent to which these women went to in order to
        have the ideal image may seem unbelievable to us
        today, but what will people one thousand years from
        now think about our cultures breast implants,
        lipo-suction and nose jobs?.... Barbaric?........Cultural
        relativity. :) "

Some might also find of interest this link to the Museum of
the City of San Francisco's exhibition of foot binding:

        http://www.sfmuseum.org/chin/foot.html

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)     www.joslyn.org

Copyright retained.
My opinions - no one else's.
If you have a problem with what I wrote, take it up with me
personally.
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!