From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:22:37 GMT
I have been watching this thread with interest because I am a trustee
of an art museum, and, in quite a different way, because I try to
understand why people take particular sides of a contentious subject.

The score of MUSEUM-L responses up to now is about 80% anti
Giuliani with the emphasis on politics and 1st Amendment rights.   The
remaining 20% are still negative towards Giuliani but concede him a
hint of justification.

I wonder what the reaction would have been from the same people if the
objection to the exhibit had been from his political opponent and
based on some theory that the village that raises the child does not
think the art is suitable.

What would be the reaction of the writers if there were a Star of
David  in a plop of elephant dung, or a Buddha  in a pan of vomit or a
copy of the Koran in.....  I think the point is clear.   Each and
every one of us has sensitivities, and to insult any group  in the
name of art doesn't fit my definition of the word.   On the other
hand, if it were a private gallery or a private museum,  I will
support their right to spend their money as they choose.  But if they
are going to take taxpayers money, they had better be willing to forgo
any future handouts.

I'm obviously sensitive,  and one big item is against Hollywood's
incessant claim to 1st Amendment rights to fill the screens and TVs
with wanton and gratuitous violence and sex sex sex.   They certainly
show no shame.  I hope the Art Museums of this country don't go the
same way.

John A. Bing
Laguna Beach, CA

Museum-L" (without the quotes).