Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:10:56 -0500
Greetings all:

And to add another conservator's voice to the mix... I am in agreement with
what Marc and Dave have already said.   Additional issues associated with
this include the construction of the historic building and whether or not it
will be possible to install systems without compromising the historic fabric
of the building either through the installation of equipment or through
on-going operations.

No matter where you are, it is important to understand at the ambient
climate on a seasonal basis (exterior conditions: temperature; moisture
content of the air, rainfall, etc.) as well as the building envelope.  Here
in the DC area, during the winter the exterior conditions can be such that
introducing even a little bit of heat may drop the relative humidity inside
the building to levels that may be damaging to building fabric as well as
collections - the response to this may be "let's introduce some
humidification during the winter", but this can exacerbate damage to the
building fabric.  There also are periods when the moisture content of the
outside air is elevated to levels that are dangerous to the building fabric
as well as to collections: some of these periods are hot and humid where
cooling and dehumidification is needed; other times can be cool and humid
here only dehumidification is needed.  All of this needs to be considered
when considering installation of systems into an existing building.  This
can be further complicated by sunlight falling on specific areas of the
building causing localized interior conditions as well as typical operations
inside of the building (i.e. office equipment; washer-dyers for collections
management and maintenance, etc.)

Then there are issues associated with the types of equipment required and
where does it equipment go?  Is there sufficient space for it inside of the
building or will construction of some sort of outbuilding be required?  How
will the conditioned air be distributed through the building?  What are
options for energy to power the system?  How much will it cost to operate
(very important these days with escalating energy costs)?  How about
maintenance access and cost?  There are just some of the issues that are
discussed when planning systems improvements.

But the first step is to know what you have and what you are trying to
protect:  it is critical to have an understanding of the comportment of the
building and the performance of its systems in moderating the exterior
climate over a full year; also what is the building envelope; what are the
vulnerabilities of the collections; how are they used.  This type of
planning can be done in-house, but the building diagnostic is very technical
and more often will require outside expertise.  I believe that it is best
done by a collaborative team comprised of a preservation engineer with
demonstrated experience with museum climate issues and understands envelopes
(not just someone who designs and installs systems), a collections
conservator with demonstrated experience in climate management and building
issues, and the organization's collections and facilities staff.   A number
of the granting agencies will fund planning efforts of this type.

I hope this helps.

Wendy Claire Jessup
Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.