From:
"Brownell, Louise" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 11:05:00 -0500
According to Dennis C. Kois:

> NO, the "theory" is that you might deign to show a modicum of respect for
> a recent college graduate by actually taking a moment to seriously
> consider their resume should a position be available. Apparently the only
> way anyone gets a position in your institution is to know you... hardly a
> diverse pool of applicants!
>
> As a graduate student in Museum Studies at NYU, I have taken both
> approaches- responding to the few and far between ads, as well as sent
> resumes cold. And in fact, I've gotten more interviews from exhibition
> design firms and museums via the "cold" mailings than via the ads. All I
> can say is thank goodness not everyone takes the same elitist attitude you
> do... I find your comments insulting to those of us who invest our time,
> and hard work, not to mention thousands of dollars in grad school (or even
> undergrad) only to have their resumes ignored by someone who thinks they
> PERSONALLY know everyone who might be qualified for their institution.

Samantha Pillar is right, let*s use a little common sense on the subject.
 Yes, after grad school, I stared holes through my mailbox for an
interminable period as I waited for a positive response to my resume.
 Although I submitted my resume only for posted positions, very few
institutions acknowledged receipt of my application.  In the end, I*ve
gotten two of my three jobs through networking and personal recommendations.

Now, however, I*m on the other side of the postal service.  I have a heavy
workload and no secretarial help.  The last time I posted a position
nationally,  I received 84 applications.   I both acknowledged their receipt
and notified the unsuccessful applicants later on, but the process took
weeks even though most of the work was done on weekends and at night.

As for unsolicited resumes, if they show that the applicant has just run
through the AAM Directory for names and addresses, I will spend just as much
time reading it, as the applicant gave thought to the unique qualities of my
institution.

I will spend time with the resume, if the person has at least read the
description of the Chicago Historical Society and has done a little research
into who we are and what our mission is.  The person who wants to work at a
fine arts museum would not necessarily be an asset to a history center.
  Remember, most museums are doing more with fewer people, so do a little
background work before you send off your resume.  Then, go to conferences
and meet people;  your work will pay off with a job that fits you and the
institution.

Dennis, please realize that respect is a two-way street, you don*t get it
unless you give it.