From:
Lisa Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 09:58:20 -0700
regarding whether or not to take museum studies/museum education courses in
preparation for a career in museums, Matthew White wrote:

When hiring staff and helping others to do the same I can attest that for
every entry or mid-level position advertised there are literally hundreds of
applicants with a Masters in Museum Studies or Museum Education and many of
them have little or no actual experience.  A strong liberal arts background,
including evidence of scholarship, and a track record of successful museum
experience that includes continous advance and a willingness to be a team
player will put your name on the "A" list for all institutions save those
that require a specific degree as proof of entry into the profession.
<<<<<

I'd like to share from my own experience here.  I have a BA in
Sociology-Anthropology and Spanish.  After graduating I did some
research--visiting museums with either collections that interested me or
education programs that impressed me.  I took a month to drive cross-country
and did informational interviewing before ending up in California where I found
part-time work at the Exploratorium, did volunteer work at the Oakland Museum
and worked occassionally as a guard at the Mexican Museum.  I had also had
entry level jobs and internships at a historic site and archaeology center in
Virginia.  From California I moved to Kentucky to work as a folklorist in
education and then returned to DC where I worked at a museum service
organization (ASTC) and finally went to GWU and got a MAT in museum education.
As soon as I graduated I was hired by NMAH at the Smithsonian to work on a
special project (I had been there at the time doing an internship as part of my
graduate work) that lasted 5 years.

I remember when I interviewed for the position at SI.  The person who
interviewed me exclaimed, "You have a MA and experience!"  Yes, I think
Matthew's advice is solid.  Get as much experience as you can.  Museum classes
can help you (mine taught me a fair amount), but make sure to do internships in
conjunction with your classes.  A solid background in a discipline combined
with an understanding of the unique audiences served by museums will make you
more of an asset to the museum community and will make working in a museum
easier for you.

And, as many folks have already pointed out, what classes will be most useful
for you depends on what type of museum work you want to do---Just
remember to get that hands-on experience (besides, it's a fun way to learn!)
And just an aside, I've never stopped taking classes--learning is fun!

good luck!

Lisa Falk