From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:37:29 -0700
The advise we got a few years back on badly tarnished silver was that once
you cleaned it, you needed to coat it with a spray lacquer to prevent (slow)
the tarnishing.  Otherwise you would be cleaning it yearly which is not good
however mild your cleanser.

This advise came from the then state conservator who was very reliable.

Our first cleansing tries were with baking soda applied with a cotton cloth
lightly dampened with isporal(?) alcohol.  If this removed sufficient
tarnish, we rinsed the object thoroughly, dried it, and coated it with a
clear spray.  The next level that we used was a product called "Auto Solv"
which we got from a conservator's supply house. Again, rinse thoroughly,
dry, and coat.