From:
"REYNOLDS, Trevor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:59:09 +0100
Nationality must not be confused with race!  In the UK you can (broadly)
only get a work permit for someone who is not an EU National if there
are no suitable EU applicants.  I believe that similar rules apply if
non-US citizens want jobs in the US.

Discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, gender and disability
is illegal in the UK.  At the moment it is not illegal to discriminate
on the grounds of age although I believe that is due to change soon.
Age (or date of birth) is just one of those things that traditionally go
on CV's here although an employer would need this information on
appointment for pension purposes.

One difference of approach to discrimination is that in the UK many
employers (especially larger employers) will send out a form to all job
applicants which asks you to indicate your race, gender, any disability
but which does not have your name on and is returned in a separate
envelope.  This allows the Human Resources department to monitor for
discrimination by looking at the proportion of applicants compared to
those who are appointed, it also allows them to consider changing how
they advertise their jobs so that so that they get a balance of
applicants that better matches the balance in the population.

I entirely agree with your surprise about the comment on handling
crates.

Of course if you are applying to English Heritage for a job we don't
accept CV's but require you to use our application form.

Trevor Reynolds
Collections Registrar, English Heritage, Room 530, 23 Savile Row, London
W1S 2ET, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7973 3482  Fax: +44 (0) 20 7973 3209