From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:37:16 -0700
 Realizing that this is a way to stimulate sharp disagreement, I would
like to point out that there have been some changes in the practice of
copyright enforcement in the past few years. No longer is the image of a
work of art (a photograph) automatically protected by copyright. The
image needs to be distinctive, meaning for example that a photograph of a
drawing or painting is unlikely to be so protected, while the photograph
of a building (which can be shot in a more personally interpretive
manner) is more likely to be sufficiently individual to be protected.
This new attitude is the result of court cases in the UK and the USA.
 Note also that overstatement of copyright is very common; the classic
case perhaps is the government of Italy's claim of copyright on all
exteriors. If this had been followed, you couldn't take a photo of the
Piazza Signoria, the Dolomites, or a public square without getting
permission from someone and paying that entity as well. And now to duck!
 Adrienne DeAngelis, Editor
 (http://www.efn.org/~acd/resources.html)