From:
Art Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:53:19 -0700
At the Centennial Museum, we are updating constantly inhouse. Aside from
the lack of funds to outsource, it would take nearly as much time (or
possibly more time) to feed the changes and new material to another
entity. With some thousands of pages in our complex, it is a constant
chore to keep up. Content varies from educational material (for example,
well over 1000 pages complementing our "Desert Diary" local PBS daily
short presentations, now in their 5th year; and our Chihuahuan Desert
section on natural and cultural history has several thousand pages,
mostly with information and images concerning Chihuahuan Desert plants
and animals) to exhibit information to research materials (collection
databases, checklists of regional animals, CDC keys to mosquito genera,
extensive material on ants of North America, etc.).

There are drawbacks aside from time constraints. As a university museum,
we have server space on the university system. However, when the
university changed server systems, we lost our links on search engines
and hits dropped by roughly 90%, and recovery has been slow. Would other
hosting have helped? Possibly, but no guarantee.

Art Harris

--
Laboratory for Environmental Biology, Centennial Museum
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX  79968-0915