From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 13:13:51 GMT
>The shop exists to make money, not to educate.  That's where we take
>admissions money anyway, and visitors always want souvineers.

Whoa right there--and wait a minute, hoss.  I don't run our shop, but I
have read enough about the shop/museum tie-in to know that if the shop
does not sell and stock objects that directly relate to the educational
mission of the institution, the sales might be subject to UBIT (unrelated
business income tax).  Secondly, and most importantly, the whole
institution functions together--the shop is *not* unrelated to the museum
*or* its message.  If the merchandise in the shop is sending a conflicting
message to what is in the exhibitions, you have serious problems.

I believe that the museum store association has a code of ethics.  I would
strongly suggest that you join MSA and get a look at this!!

Claudia Nicholson
Curator of Collections
Museum of the South Dakota State Historical Society
Pierre