From:
Doug Lantry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 11:44:37 -0500
I don't understand why the definition of museum has to be so narrow and
exclusive.  Both a museum of fine arts and something grimy and pedestrian
like an airshow are part and parcel of material culture, conservation (to
different degrees), and education.  Why does a museum have to be indoors,
in a controlled environment, etc.?  Because standards for accreditation
are geared to that environment?  Can the following functions occur in
both environments: acquisition, conservation, study, interpretation,
display of objects?  Yes, they can and do.  IMHO, a museum exhibit can be
lots more than what we've traditionally been shown -- even if it's not in
a conventional "museum," it can achieve similar purposes through much
different means.  In this sense I regard an airshow as a potentially
educational exhibit, and the whole event as a sort of ephemeral museum.

Doug Lantry

Doug Lantry
University of Delaware