From:
Tim Vitale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:46:17 -0800
Marc

I'm not sure such an animal exists.  The reason MR16 (2-pin small
halogen bulb) can deliver 3600K to about 6000K is that the
manufacturer can coat the reflector with a dichroic coating that
passes the red (infrared) light out the back and reflects the
[predominantly] bluer light out the front.

The PAR 38 design (large compared to MR16) just does not allow for
economically viable application of the dichroic reflector technology.
The surface area of the reflector is about 20 times as large.

Most of the PAR 38 I've measured using a spectrophotometer deliver
about 2850K, the standard output of an incandescent bulb technology.

Further, most of the MR16 bulbs I've measure have much lower color
temperature than advertised.  I've checked this a colleague who get
similar results.  Finding a 6000K MR16 is common, finding one that
actually delivers this very blue light is uncommon.

Tim Vitale
Paper, Photographs &
Electronic Media Conservator
Digital Imaging & Facsimiles
Film [Still] Migration to Digital Format
Digital Imaging & Facsimiles
Preservation Associates
1500 Park Avenue
Suite 123
Emeryville, CA 94608

510-594-8277
510-594-8799 fax

Vitale bio
http://videopreservation.conservation-us.org/tjv/vitale_1pg_bio.pdf
Resume: see link in lower right corner of the URL above.
Albumen Photography Website in 2000
<http://albumen.conservation-us.org>
VideoPreservation Website in 2007
<http://videopreservation.conservation-us.org> quotes).