From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:33:56 -0500
Who is responsible for documenting the programming and for keeping the
documentation up to date? What happens when that person no longer works
for the museum? How relational is the database and do fields "self
populate"? Are you able to set up sophisticated task management systems?
How do you handle various styled accession numbers? What about managing
all the data related to use of an object? What happens when users decide
they need a new function and how is that new function implemented? Who
supports the system when it decides not to talk to the rest of your
software? Does it contain an unalterable audit log? vocabulary
constraints? Hierarchical access (i.e. the registrar, curator, and
volunteer can view, add, or change only certain types of data and this is
security controlled? Can you link objects to processes or places...like
scheduling them for loans or conservation or link them to storage or
exhibit locations? Can you maintain an unalterable history of where the
object's been...

I can think of a lot of things I might want to do and I'll be darned if I
have the energy or luxury of time and money to spend programming FileMaker
to track it all.

There are a lot of wheels that don't need to be reinvented. Homegrown
systems reinvent what other programmers dedicate 8hrs/day to doing.

Flexible....maybe....documented...really?

Diane
p.s. Robert wrote those essays nearly 10 years ago. Software's changed a
lot. They're still valuable for understanding what types of processes one
needs and how one might automate them.