From:
"Sara P. Kelley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 09:03:15 -0400
Melanie wrote:
> There are certain circumstances under which staff from other organizations
> serving as trustees could be very beneficial.  I'm thinking in particular
> of small museums and historical societies founded and governed by people
> with little or no professional museum experience.

I agree -- I was asked last year to serve on the board of another local
historical museum.  Their only staff person wanted some affirmation
of his work, I think, in the presence of a board with little practical
museum experience (that's a whole other story, though!).  Because
of other community commitments, I had to say no, but agreed to serve
as "ex officio", which allows them to use my name in grant applications
and to call on me for advice whenever necessary.

Sara Kelley

--
Sara Phinney Kelley, Historic Site Administrator
Centre County Historical Society