From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:46:32 -0600
As a graduate research assistant I utilize three different libraries with
very strict security for their archives.  In the larger facility, you may
bring in paper.  That's it.  They provide pencils.  No purses, handbags,
briefcases, book bags of any kind are allowed.  They provide lockers in the
lobby at no charge.  Many researchers bring in lap tops (no case).
At the on-campus library, you are allowed a small notebook and pencil in the
rare-book reading room.  Lockers are provided at no charge for bags and
coats.  At the main branch of the county library in the special collections
unit, you may bring in a lap top without its case, some notepaper and a
pencil.  No purses, bags of any kind and no 3-ring binders, books,
notebooks, etc. may by brought into the area. They did not make me check my
coat, however.
I operate on a strictly electronic format.  I use a Palm m500 with keyboard
and software that runs MS Word and Excel documents.  I keep both the Palm
and the keyboard in tight-fitting cases and have had no problem with
bringing any of these items into these 3 facilities.

Personally, I find it somewhat annoying because I can't carry my phone (on
vibrate), Palm w/keyboard, wallet for copies and keys all at the same time.
Plus, then when I get up to check something else, I have to leave my stuff
unattended while I am across the room.  I can understand the security needs
and support the no book bags, large notebook part of it, but I do wish
purses were allowed (or some type of SMALL bag) which I would gladly consent
to having checked upon exit.

Lori Allen,
Grad Student, UMSL