From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 07:50:39 -0500
George Bauer wrote:

> I am getting sick and tired of hearing the words "sensitive" and "diverse".
> In my opinion, diversity is what is tearing our country apart.  It used to
> be we were united, but with all this garbage recently worshiping
> "sensitivity" and "diversity" we are rapidly heading down the drain.
>
> I know what I am saying is not politically correct--I'm sick and tired of
> that too.  Someday enough people will recognize the problem and the pendalum
> will change to where we again become the UNITED STATES and remember our
> heritage as it is expressed in FROM MANY, ONE.  Until that time, I fear for
> our future.
>
> george
>
> ====================
>
> >PLease read my message carefully.  I didn't advocate locating shops in
> >"out of the way" places, I merely advocated that they be "off to the
> >side" instead of forcing all exhibit visitors to walk through a gift shop.
> >There is a big difference there. Also, the issue I raised was not fear
> >of "embarrassing someone", but rather one of trying to make the museum a
> >more inclusive, welcoming place for people of all incomes...including
> >those who cannot afford the merchandise in the gift shops.  While I am not
> >denying the business necessities of museums in an era of shrinking
> >funding, to me, we also need to be sensitive and attentive to the broader,
> >more economically diverse audiences museums are currently trying to
> >embrace.
> >
> >George Bauer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
> >: This is one of the most ridiculous reasons I have ever heard for deciding
> >: where to locate a gift shop!  Do businesses put themselves in
> >: out-of-the=-way places because somebody might be embarrassed if it were out
> >: in front???
> >
> >: george

I think the term "from many, one," suggests that we ought to be
"sensitive" to the "diverse" nature of our population, i.e., that "one"
doesn't refer exclusively to white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestants.  There was
a time when the latter was the case; anyone falling outside that
category was considered second-class at best.  Until we reach the point
where we are truly blind to color, gender, religious preference, and
sexual orientation, we won't be "one" and must continue our struggle to
be sensitive to those who fall outside the WASP category.

Bob Handy