From:
Karen Kroslowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 16:03:05 +22305714
A request for info or assistance, please

I am currently writing a proposal to begin databasing and curating the
alcohol collections which will entail creation of computer-generated labels.
As experiments have proven laser printer ink tends to flake off labels
stored in alcohol (EtOH specifically tested), thus I am seeking alternatives.
I have come up with the possiblity of usin g a dot-matrix  printer with
archival ink (no lubricants) on Tyvek, a polyethylene-based "fabric/paper"
from Du Pont.
Tyvek appears to be a curator's dream (archivally stable, won't discolor,
and takes printer inks and Pigma pen ink like a charm). Is anyone out
there using this for labels or other purposes? Does it suit your needs
well and are you happy with it?
I have received samples and info from Du Pont, so it's time to do my own
preliminary testing. I'll be happy to pass on the info to anyone who would
care for it.
Comments? Questions?

Karen J. Kroslowitz                     phone: 808-848-4118
Natural Sciences, Malacology            fax:   808-841-8968
Bernice P. Bishop Museum                [log in to unmask]