From:
Richard Fields <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:02:21 -0500
I see no reason to try and secure the flag as a historical artifact.  Sometimes when events are still new, emotions can supercede historical preservation.  Often times, objects are lost only to be wished for later.  When I was the Superintendent of the Fort Gibson Historic Site (NHL), I found an old American flag rolled up in a paper bag in a room with a leaky roof.  The flag was garrison size, and in the field of blue, an oversize cut out star had been sewed to flag. This flag was in poor condition.  I sent it for conservation, and researched the history of the flag.  It had flown at the fort on the day Oklahoma became a state.  This flag when displayed (flat, out of direct light and protected) became one of the most discussed items on display.  The point is, the flag met all the criteria for a proper retirement, but because it hadn't been, it became an artifact that visitors could relate to directly, nearly 100 years later.  If the community feels better retiring the flag, fine, but I believe the museum community would be remiss in not first trying to persuade the officials to consider the common fabric the flag brings to Americans, and how better than other artifacts, it can convey the event to future generations.  I am sorry, but a crushed desk, computer, or broken coffee cup does not do that for me.

Just my 2 cents, Opinions are mine and not those of my employer, etc.

Richard A. Fields
Mine Interpretive Supervisor
Soudan Underground Mine State Park
P.O. Box 335