From:
Werenfried Ressl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:06:34 +0200

Dear Sirs,

we want to present you the latest information on the international
conference Sope II, Sites & Subjects, narrating heritage.

If you have any questions or need more information feel free to contact me
at [log in to unmask]
All press information about Scope II can be seen on
http://www.scope.at/index.phtml?viewId=162

with best regards,

Werenfried Ressl
on behalf of Scope II
----------------------------------
http://www.scope.at

----------------------------------

"Austria could be a bridge"

Vienna: scopeII presented Homi K. Bhabha in a press conference on Wednesday
12 July 2006, where he talked in detail to Austrian Journalists about the
international conference “Sites & Subjects. Narrating Heritage”.

„The fact that the discussion on cultural heritage is happening in Austria
is of a great significance because of the country's strategic, liminal
position between the western and the eastern nations. Austria could be a
bridge in this discussion.“ This was Harvard Professor Homi K. Bhabha's
starting statement during the press conference, for which he flew in to
Vienna, Austria, on Wednesday 12 July 2006 to Vienna, Austria. Bhabha, born
in India and one of the leading postcolonial theoretician in the world, was
discussing as scopeII committee member and key note speaker the topic of the
forthcoming conference.

To learn more about Homi K. Bhabha and the rest of the speakers see
http://www.scope.at/index.phtml?viewId=142&relId=2

Globalisation and Migration, not as threat, but as creative opportunity, are
changing the understanding of cultural heritage, Bhabha said. „Globalisation
has now made us rethink the supremacist histories of the past from a
different perspective.“ Postcolonial nations get the chance to tell their
own stories, their own narratives. That, Bhabha argued, explains, why
narrating is part of the conference title Narrating Heritage. „We use the
word narrating because to be aware of the situation, where postcolonial
countries have a sense of their own narrative. Of what their past was,
including their own past of colonisation, and what their present is. So I
think we are in a very different context today when we talk about heritage
questions.“

Cultural objects, monuments or practices cannot be understood without those
stories, which are connected to them. In a world of migration (people and
objects) cultural heritage cannot have just one meaning or one value.
Therefore provenance is an important concept for Bhabha. „I think, it would
be much more productive, to look at the question of heritage in terms of
what I call provenance.“ Bhabha doesn't mean provenance as origin, but as
journey, which an object has got and which gave it a certain meaning at each
time. „Tracking its movement, where it went and how in that movement it had
a different value and a different meaning each time.“ Important is to find
the meanings and values of an object in a range of contexts. Thus, for
Bhabha, the slogan of uma information technology, who is organising scopeII,
is one of the main topics of the conference. „When in scope we say
separating the signal from the noise I think that is, what we want to bring
to the discussion of heritage.“

The debate over cultural heritage, which will be continued on 28 and 29 of
September, is initiated by that press conference. 13 speakers and over 100
attendees will discuss the impact of the changing meaning of cultural
heritage to the subtopics museum and cityscape. Christian Dögl, CEO of uma
information technology: „The press conference with Homi Bhabha has given us
an idea, how interesting and exciting the scopeII conference will be.“

--
Klaus Ebenhöh
Press Contact