From:
Elizabeth Stith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:16:36 PDT
I do not feel that museums do not value the degrees - or whatever level of education - their employees have.  It has not been my experience that any museum pays less than they can afford.  I still believe that, except for a few rarified institutions, funding will always be a problem and that museum staff members will be paid as well as possible.  If those new to the field feel that the starting salaries are too low I invite them to find ways to raise more money for staff salaries - not something most donors are attracted to - or find another field.  I made a decision several years ago about the quality of my life and part of that decision was the understanding that I was not going to make a fortune doing what I want to do.  At no time have I felt underappreciated because of my salary.  For me that are many other benefits which make up for a portion of salary - though certainly not all.