From:
Deborah Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 00:32:46 EDT
Regarding live ammunition, back in the old days when there were lots of
military bases in our area, we worked with the ordinance unit at one of them
to inspect all of our small collection of ammunition and to remove powder and
other explosive materials from the casings.  They did so with great
sensitivity and respect for our desire to preserve the bullets and other
pieces of ammunition.  One WWII piece they did confiscate and explode because
they felt it was so dangerous.

We were lucky.  The fellow we worked with was interested in history and
committed to the same goals we had.  I can easily imagine, however, running
into another type who would just confiscate and discard.  So look carefully
before leaping.

Deborah Cooper
Museum Collections Coordinator
Oakland Museum of California