From:
Terrence Quinlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:57:55 -0400
Sabrina,

A less expensive but equally effective approach to storing silver that
prevents the production of silver sulphide and copper sulphide is to
store your cleaned silver within a polyethylene bag after it has been
wrapped in acid free tissue (unbuffered). You could also employ
sorbents such as pacific silver cloth, 3m anti tarnish strips,
homemade sinks that contain activated charcoal or potassium
permanganate on alumia (carusorb). Do be aware however that activated
charcoal products can become secondary emitters once they have become
saturated.

You could place a small swatch of silver within the clear polyethylene
bag to act as indicator for the production of silver tarnish.

We encourage collections staff to place a picture on the exterior of
the storage bag to reduce the need to remove the artifact from its
protective enclosure.

Terrence Quinlan
Professor of Conservation
Applied Museum Studies