From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:44:23 -0700
--- Cindy Collins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Deb, I think it's fair to ask if you think that the "subsistence" societies
> are on a lesser level, in your comparison of societies of humans to
> societies of dogs?  That was my question to you entirely in the first place,
> why you bring "dogs" into this discussion, as I don't quite see the
> connection

My theater prof's exclaimation of "Why do we do theater? Dogs don't do
theater!" usually came after rambling off about how theater is in essence,
unnatural and artificial. What other creature on Earth pretends to be something
that it is not for the sole purpose of entertaining others? I'm not talking
about playing dead to distract a predator or developing camouflage to blend in
with its surroundings.

In a sense, museums are the same. What other creature on Earth collects things
for the express purpose of study and/or showing them off to others? Crows will
steal bright and shiny objects but I'd hardly call their hoardes a collection.
(But if a crow steals Gene's ties, would that qualify as a museum? ;)

> A society as we would know it, sans the arts, would be not simply less
> grand, it would be bleak and less informed and with less soul and room for
> contemplation of the past, who we are and have been and freedom of
> self-expression, and potential to learn from our mistakes

The Almish who live plain lives do not have formal "arts" (as folk art is not
considered a true "art" by many), nor do they have museums but I'd hardly call
their lives bleak and less informed. They have plenty of time for contemplation
of the past and more soul than many yuppies I know.

> I agree that civilization will "survive", but at what level?  What will the
> quality of education and life be without museums, film, music and other
> arts?  Without museums, exhibits, the arts in our consumer society,
> knowledge and values may change in ways that leave us spiritually and
> emotionally bereft.

Again, I point to you societies that do not have museums but survive and even
thrive without them. There are people who have lived their whole lives here in
the US that have never stepped foot in a museum. If values and knowledge aren't
already present in a society, a museum isn't going to change that.

> I am curious as to what you view the role of your museum and museums in
> general in today's society. Do you really not feel it worthy cause to
> support their protection and survival in a wartorn country or damaged
> economy, as it seems?

I'm playing devil's advocate to those who make sweeping statements that society
will decay without museums. I'm also trying to get people to think about what
the purpose of museums are. If people have survived without museums for
thousands of years, why are they suddenly so important? What is the gauge of a
society's social and cultural worth? How many museums it has? How well it funds
the arts? Athens prized culture, beauty, art and scholarship over brute force
and strength. Sparta prized the warrior and a strong army. The Athenians were
admired for their art and culture. Sparta was admired and feared because they
kicked a**. Is Athens a better society than Sparta? They were both eventually
conquered by the Romans.

Maybe these are philosophical questions with no answer. Maybe each person has
to decide for him or herself about what museums mean to them. Is being less
grand because of the lack of museums necessarily a bad thing? Things to think
about.

Deb