From:
Laura Dell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:32:25 -0400
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:47:42 -0400 Wade Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Evidently, there is a difference between hay and straw (from what I
>have
>heard, at any rate). Hay is a food source and straw is not. Can
>anyone
>corroborate this?
>--
>Wade Lawrence

I used to be a zookeeper at the Cincinnati Zoo and there is a difference
between hay and straw.  Straw is used for bedding in animal exhibits and
is not used for food.  Straw is the golden-yellow dry material that we
are used to seeing in displays.  Hay (which comes in many varieties like
timothy hay and alfalfa) is used as a food source for animals (I've even
chewed on timothy hay myself, and it is not bad at all).  Hay is moister
and comes in a variety of colors depending on the species of vegetation.
I have never seen hay used for decorative purposes.  It is not as
attractive as straw.  Also the moisture and organic content would be
likely to attract insects.

Laura A.B. Dell
WCET Education & Technology (PBS)        (513) 381-4033, ext 338
1223 Central Parkway                                  (513) 381-7520  FAX
Cincinnati, OH  45214

Museum-L" (without the quotes).