From:
Ken Platt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 23:53:47 -0500
Gabrielle V Michalek wrote:

> We have recently acquired a dictaphone made by the American Graphophone
> Company with the last patent date being December 31, 1907.  Along with
> the dictaphone there are eleven wax cylinders with recordings on them,
> dated 1915. I have contacted WRS here in Pittsburgh, and they are not
> equipped to work with this material.  I am also interested in having the
> recordings transferred on to new media during their first play.   Does
> anyone have any experience or advice concerning dictaphones and
> cylinders from this era?
>
> Gabrielle V. Michalek
> University Archivist
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Pittsburgh, PA 15221
You might want to try the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan because
when I was there recenty I saw machines like you are talking about in
their collection. If they are not able to help you, they may be able to
direct you to someone who can.
--

Ken Platt
Registrar Butler Institute of American Art