From:
Beth Bevars <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 15:11:59 -0500
Miquel,

I have followed both Robin's and your comments re. latinos in museums with
great interest.  I moved to El Paso in October and have visited the majority
of the museums here.  My Masters is in Folk Studies-the study of ALL
cultures, and ALL aspects of culture.  During my education we asked many of
the very same questions you do-granted not always about the Latino
population.  As a Scotch-Irish, blonde haired, blue-eyed person I, for the
first time in my life, appreciate what it feels like to be the "different"
person within a communtiy.

I would like to ask, though, why you feel the need to challenge Robin?  She
is obviously interested in the same topic.  Besides, aren't ranchers and WWII
veterans also possibly maids and gardeners?  We belong to many different
cultural groups.  Some are based on race (defined within the community or
without it) and some on other things like occupation, religion, family,
gender, etc.  Everyone of these defining elements is vital to our sense of
individuality and our sense of belonging to a community.  Until the different
groups that make up the United States, and the world, chose to recognize how
important these differences are, there will be no easy answers to things
like, "who decides what is important" and "whose culture will be celebrated".

I would ask that instead of replying to Robin in such a sarcastic and brusque
tone, you consider your ultimate goals and work WITH other professionals
instead of against them.  There are many of us who, regardless of what folk
groups we chose to identify with, would like to work and live in peace
recognizing and celebrating these differences and the ultimate sameness of
our existance as humans.  I know this doesn't answer your initial questions
but I hope that it'll perhaps encourage all of us to work together.   Suzuki,
the great violin teacher, once said, "Where love is deep much can be
accomplished."  I hope the conversation can continue with an open mind and
much love.  Only then might we find answers to your questions.

Beth Bevars