Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:41:40 -0500
>From:    Geri Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Dear Colleagues:  Am looking for policies and procedures related to how
>rights and reproductions are incorporated into the work of museum
>registrars.  Do you directly supervise R&R staff; how are requests for
>information and visuals handled within the Registrar's department, etc.

Geri,

The Registrars Committee's taskforce, RARIN (Rights and Reproduction
Information Network) was formed a couple of years ago because there was a
perceived need to share just this sort of information.  As I'm sure you
know - some registrars handle R&R, some Photo Services Departments handle
it, some Publications Departments handle it.  I'm sure there are other
permutations.  To answer some of the needs (and questions) of museum staff
who handle R&R, RARIN will be mounting a website by the time of the annual
meeting (URL available in the very near future).  The website will feature
pointers to US Law, various licensing initiatives, information on related
listserves, a bibliography of print materials, several articles, charts on
copyright duration, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Rights and Reproduction
Survey (which compares rates and policies from over 100 museums), etc.

The New Museum Registration Methods also has a nice concise synopsis of
handling R&R (pp. 225-6).

Suzanne Quigley
Chair, RC-AAM RARIN taskforce