From:
Bayla Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 03:38:19 GMT
Something is troubling me.  On one hand, I have deep respect for the
traditions of professionalism and the development of specific
disciplines.  On another hand, I feel that somehow the ideal of a
Liberal Education is being lost, fragmented, and we will be the poorer
for it.

Someone who has earned a doctorate, and has continued the 'life of the
mind,' ought to be able to learn new material swiftly and effectively.
One should not need to spend 3-6 years on each of several fields, in
order to function in an interdisciplinary environment.

Shall professions/disciplines become mere vehicles for excluding
others from desireable positions?  Is it the intent to narrow the
pool of candidates until only a few 'qualify', thus ensuring
employment for a few at the possible expense of fresh perspectives?

There is a notion in the history of science (and of some other fields)
that real progress comes from those 'in the margin', not fully part of the
'establishment' -- Charles Darwin and his circle are paradigmatic
examples.  Neither complete outsiders nor true insiders, these
intelligent learned folk seem to be able, more than others, to offer
productive insight.

These are musings, and I hope others will be able to articulate the case
more clearly.  There is much to be said on both sides of this issue: I
do not wish to seem to be taking an ironclad position.  It -is- an
issue, though, and should be explored in some depth.

--bayla singer  [log in to unmask]