From:
Carol Tobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:19:00 -0500
The following message was returned unprocessed so I assume it did not get to
the list.  If it did, and this is a duplication, my apologies.

Dear Museum Colleagues,

I want to introduce the Museum of the American Printing House for the Blind
(APH) in Louisville, Kentucky.  The museum exhibits historical artifacts
relating to the history of the education of blind people and the history of
the American Printing House for the Blind.  APH was founded in 1858 to print
tactile books and produce educational aids for blind people, a mission we
continue to fulfill today.  The museum is accessible to hearing, mobility and
visually impaired people.

My motive-besides inviting my colleagues to visit-is to get the word out
about our collection.  There are probably artifacts in museum collections,
libraries or communities that relate to our collection that are in need of
more appropriate homes.

Please be on the lookout for objects that might not be familiar to you,
objects that might be used by blind people.  For example mechanical point
writers (similar to a typewriter), adapted typewriters, books embossed in
raised letters or symbols (prior to the use of braille), mathematical
devices, embossed maps and tactile globes.

If you have any of these items or if you are offered anything like this, I
hope you will notify me.

Carol Tobe, Curator
Museum of the American Printing House for the Blind
1839 Frankfort Avenue
Louisville KY 40206
502-899-2365