From:
蓑原 謝恵 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:10:08 +0900
Thank you very much, T W Moran and Patrick for your reply:)

Yes, I was asking about a company to create new museums.
As you mentioned, it is true museums could lose their uniquness if one
company develop all museums under one concept like franchise.(I do not
think it as a bad idea though,since I could sense the shadow of this idea
in "Cooperation" and/or "a tie-up" in a sense.)
What I imagine is that if the operation of museums can be supported by
a profit company(which is specialized in museum management and operation),
more museum can be created wherever needed. So, if the company only
support museums' operation, and every museum should hire
different concept to creat muesums, wouldn't you think the uniquness could
be maintained?
Another question is about collection.  You are right that the trusteeship
and long-term security of objects would be the very crucial concerns.
But now, when we create a new museum, we are under those conditions; there
is less and less money to buy collections and the stock of excellent
collections is limited,and many museums offer traveling exhibitions.
I should not forget to add that the museums can be science related, too.
So what if that new museums do not have collections, and focus on education
as well as doing exhibits supported by traveling exhibitions(of art or
science), might be a profit museum company useful?

Sae Minohara
Shimizu Corporation
Japan