From:
"John M. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 21:41:45 -0500
Practically every local historical museum has at least one or more items
made of human hair from the Victorian era.  There were craftsmen
(artists?) who created such items for a living.  The Tippecanoe County
Historical Association in Lafayette, Indiana has a small round table that
was used in the manufacture of hair ornaments, wreaths, etc.  Displayed
with it is a "how-to" type book which includes a picture of such a weaving
table (I'm not sure that is the correct term) being used, as well as a
business card for a hair weaver.  Small weights or bobbins were used in
the process.  For more information, contact Dick Stringfellow, Curator of
Collections, TCHA, 909 South Street, Lafayette, IN 47901; (317) 742-8411.

Jmh
John M. Harris                      [log in to unmask]
Local History Services              (317) 232-4591   (work)
Indiana Historical Society          (317) 233-3109   (FAX)
    *All opinions expressed are my own and not my employer's.*