From:
Tony Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 00:37:56 GMT
What's the deal with the sculpture Getty is bidding on, did they win yet?

As an artist who probably will never have his stuff in a museum,  I
feel the sculpture should go to Getty.  I find it so ludicrous that a
government can tell a private party where a work of art gets to live.

The only place where the lower forms of life like myself can view and
enjoy art is in a museum.  I, and the public at large, are certainly
not invited anywhere else to do so.  Thus then, why shouldn't Getty be
able to plunder the artistic graveyards of the europe and bring home some
wonderful booty for us "plankton" to view.

The museum who owned the piece must of thought that it wasn't so wonderful;
or they needed the bucks, so they put it up for sale.  This "matching offer"
business is nothing more than a British art-community game of chicken.
It's like saying:  "How much money can we extort out of Getty before they
decide to bail"  I submit that Getty boycott any art auction in England
and take its cornucopia of dollar bills elsewhere.

Tony Austin

Finger me for PGP key if you want to talk private
--
  "Lean legs with the ambiance of a cat walked towards the studio boom box
                the way an angel is not supposed to." - T.A.