From:
Julie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:29:34 -0500
Can museums follow the symphony and theater worlds, where there are
co-leaders who are experts in their fields?  The performing arts have a
"managing director" and an "artistic director" with their own hierarchies,
and the two top leaders coordinate their bailiwicks for a full program.

Very large museums often do this with an executive director/CEO who is
either the subject-matter expert OR the bean-counter, with an "assistant
director" or "associate director" who handles the other function.  Smaller
museums do not have the luxury of extra staff lying around, so they have to
go one way or another, and in these times it is often determined that the
top leader be more externally than internally experienced.  ("internal"
being code for "museum wonk")  Some museums require more of a bean counter
at the top, while others go the more scholarly route. The best requirement
for a top leader in a museum should be his/her ability to conceive of a
vision for the institution and inspire others to share it and do their best
work to advance it.  Still, the top person must be aware of his/her
experience limitations and surround him/herself with trained people with
whom they consult regularly and to whom they should defer the decisions that
require specialized abilities.  It's that deferral which causes
problems--often when one gets to the top one's ego takes over and listening
to others is an atrophied skill.

This is all true for presidents as well...except for they must also realize
that they represent the people and should always strive to serve the people
instead of their own agenda.

And while I'm on a rant, let's hear it for PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION! (another
of my pet rants)

Julia Muney Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center
820 E. 67th St.
Indianapolis, IN  46220
(317) 255-2464 x233