From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:42:09 +0000
In message dated 97-11-14 15:44:46 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Do you think that some people speak to their colleagues in the same
>  unprofessional and unfriendly manner as some of us choose to write in
>  e-mail?

The (British) Museum Association code of conduct says that I should 'be
courteous to all colleagues and respect their feelings', and 'conduct
any dispute with others who work in museums with courtesy and tolerance,
even when differences of opinions are robustly expressed; do not engage
gratuitously in personal disputes.  When a dispoute or point of
principle cannot be resolved, see independent arbetration'.  Above
these, is the principle that 'In everything that they do, museums should
aim to enrich the quality of life' (among others).

I can only recall one email (or post to a usenet or list) to me, from a
fellow museum-worker which would fall into the 'unprofessional' area, on
grounds of the way I was treated.  And the code in the US (where that
person was employed) may, of course, have different emphasis.  I hope I
have not (inadvertently) broken my own code, and apologise if I have.

On the other hand, I have witnessed colleagues behaving against the code
of conduct.  In almost all cases, it was a so-called 'professional'
talking to a so-called 'non-professional' member of staff.

On the whole, I would say that in my experience, the proportion of
unprofessional people with email access is about the same as those
without.

Best wishes to all,
--
Pat Reynolds