From:
Steven Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:26:41 -0500
I would like to add a little more about what a prop is at our museum.

Often we are given, purchase, acquire through trade, etc. several examples
of the same artifact, whether that be a buggy, a fork, a camera (same
model, etc.), whatever.  (This might include an artifact that matches one
already in our collection. So this donation event is not restricted
temporally.) If given this opportunity we will choose the best one,
condition-wise, for the permanent collection and the other for the
prop/education/study collection.  Often times we will actually choose 2 or
3 of the best for the permanent collections and the other for the prop.
Needless to say, we cannot possibly store and care for properly every
single item that comes through our door that is an original (Trusteeship
responsibilities).

Then as regards the prop item, we tell docents, visitors, other staff, etc.
that everyone learns in different ways.  By touch, reading, sight,
olfactory, etc.  As a museum whose mission includes preservation,
interpretation, AND Education we must keep this in mind.  If we do not use
props (Hands on items) we would be falling short of those that can learn
easier by touch or closer up scrutiny of an item, thus falling short of our
potential Education and interpretation goals.    Granted these prop items
are expected to be used up (destroyed, deteriorate, etc.) eventually, we
have taken every step possible with contingency plans as well (the other 2
examples kept) to ensure that a representative example is still being
preserved.  This can be applied to non-material history as well.  When an
oral history is done, an archive copy that is not accessible to the general
public is kept of the audio, video, if applicable, and transcript  in
addition to the multiple copies that are used as Prop items for the public
to access.

Hope that all made sense!

Steven Stewart
Chief Curator
Customs House Museum and Cultural Center