From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:57:58 GMT

        On Thu. 23 Oct Chris Reich wrote:

>> As part of a long-range planning process, we are seeking recent publications
>>  and/ or articles that discuss "industry" trends for museums, both measurable
>>  (such as attendance and membership) and environmental such as mergers,
>>  privatization, etc.  I have access to AAM's most recent Financial Analysis
>>  Study and notes from a couple of sessions at last year's AAM Annual Meeting as
>>  well as a recent article in the ASTC newsletter listing some indicators.
>>  Nonetheless, there still seems to be a dearth of good material on this
>>  subject.  Any ideas or directions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>>
>> Chris Reich
>> Putnam Museum of History and Natural Science
>> Davenport, Iowa

        I have  a question and a point to make:

        Question:  Why is it I often  get the responses  to postings
but not the post itself?   Anyone else experience this phenomena?

        Point.  Although I have only seen a short newspaper article,
attributed to the N.Y.Times,  perhaps the latest NEA study about
museums will give some of the answers to Chris' question.  It
evidently goes into detail on the problems facing museums, especially
with funding .  The report also makes mention of a negative aspect of
arts institutions, namely that they  "... are elitist, racially
segregated, class-based and isolated from the communities they claim
to serve, but don't"   Laguna Beach experienced this phenomena last
year, and, I'm pleased to say,  reversed the trend.

John A. Bing
Laguna Art Museum
--
John A. Bing